Botanical name: Canarium luzonicum
Botanical family: Burseraceae
Part of plant used: Bark
Origin: The Elemi tree originates from the Philippines and is also known as ‘Manila elemi’.
Description: Spicy with citrus undertones
History: Elemi was popular in the perfumery industry and was used in making soaps.
Properties and Indications:
- Can strengthen the immune system
- Useful for genitourinary problems
- Expectorant properties helpful for coughs and congestion in the lungs
- Can help heal wounds but not to be used on sensitive skins
- Can help calm nerves, a useful tonic
Back to Aromatherapy Essential Oils