Botanical name: Cedrus Atlantica / Virginiana
Botanical family: Coniferae
Part of plant used: Wood, trees grow to 40 meters.
Origin: Cedrus Atlantica – from the Atlas Mountain, Morocco
Cedrus Virginiana – from North America (closely related to Juniperus Virginiana)
Description: Woody, similar to Sandalwood but dryer.
History: Used by the Egyptians for decaying bodies and embalming. Nowadays Cedarwood is used as a fixative for perfumes.
Properties and Indications:
- Excellent for the lymphatic system – decongest’s the lymph
- Good for respiratory system and lung damage – bronchitis, catarrh
- Genitourinary tract – cystitis
- Excellent for the skin – eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis
- Powerful but slow acting, stays with people
- Grounding holiday feeling
- Calming and soothing
- Basil, Bay, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Cypress, Jasmine, Juniper, Marjoram, Neroli, Pine, Rosemary, Rosewood, Thyme
Back to Aromatherapy Essential Oils