Botanical name: Illicium verum
Botanical family: Magnoliaceae
Part of plant used: Seeds/Fruit
Origin: This star-shaped fruit tree originates in China.
Description: Anise-Star has a liquorice-like aroma and can be quite pungent.
History: Anise-Star was often used to soothe the digestion and freshen the breath.
Properties and Indications:
- Stimulating and uplifting
- Carminative – excellent for digestive problems, constipation and flatulence
- Settles stomach if feeling nauseous
- Can help urinary tract problems including cystitis
- Useful for respiratory problems and easing sore throats
- Helpful for colds
- Can ease pre-menstrual aches and pains
- Regulates periods
- Use very sparingly, is not commonly used in Aromatherapy
- Never to be used in pregnancy
- Do not use on children
Back to Aromatherapy Essential Oils