Search Essential Oil Recipes
Aromatherapy Oils - Tagetes
Botanical name: Tagetes patula
Botanical family: Compositae
Part of plant used: Flower heads and leaves
Origin: Cultivated in France and also known as 'French Marigold'. Tagetes erecta originally cultivated in Africa and was known there as the khakibush.
Description: Pungent and fruity aroma.
History: Was used in French perfumery. In Africa was used to deter flies and maggots.
Properties and Indications:
- Anti-fungal properties can help urinary infections including candida
- Anti-microbe properties useful for disease carrying insects
- Insect bites and infections can be eased with this oil
- Respiratory problems including coughs
- Musculatory aches and pains can be relieved
- Helpful to calm the nerves and release any tension
- Can ease headaches
- Calming action can reduce high blood pressure
- Helpful in healing wounds and cuts
- Can be used as a natural insecticide in the garden
- A very strong oil so should only be used in moderation
Back to Aromatherapy Essential Oils